How To Stop The Weight Gain On Tamoxifen
courtesy of JonathanCohen
I have been on tamoxifen for over 4 years now. I have been successful in losing weight, but wish to re-train everyone’s thoughts on “losing pounds.” We are on a drug that wants us to gain weight, so we will not have the same results as another individual not taking the drug, so never, never compare yourself to them, never!
That is my first advice. The best “diet” is Protein, veggies, and fruit. Key point to make here is “Protein.” Eat protein with EVERY meal and EVERY snack. Do not eat a carb without having a protein with it. Protein is not only found with meats, think nuts, cheese, cottage cheese, protein powder, as example.
For your workout - have your trainer change your focus from mostly cardio to mostly strength-training. Think weight training and squats/pushups/jumping jacks, truly the basics... Also, pilates is focused on strength training. Cardio is good, but should only take up 25% of your time with strength training taking up the other 75%.
I have lost 20 lbs, and no one associates me with taking Tamoxifen anymore because I do not gain weight.
**Very important - I started this post with this - do not compare your weight loss with anyone. You need to understand that it can take up to 6 mos to lose just one pound. However, protein feeds the muscles you are creating with your strength-training efforts which naturally raises your metabolism which burns fat! The fat weight will drop (you just do not see it on the scale but you see it in dropped dress sizes!!).
** Best advice I can give as I have made the journey these past years - do not obsess about losing weight. Simply follow the above ideas, relax, eat that cupcake if you want, and continue your life habits mentioned above and you will shrink and feel strong AND replace fat with muscle removing the fuel that our cancer feeds off.
Hope this helps! Signed - your cancer sister. PS: Another key point to remember on this journey - the idea is to stop the weight gain, so even if you do not see any drops you ARE succeeding because you have not gained anymore! Once you stop the meds, the weight will pour off if you keep your workout plan active.
Originally posted at the Questions & Answers forum by Guest Cancer sister